The Water Management Grant by the Farming Transformation Fund is a UK government initiative which offers grants to farmers who are looking to improve their productivity, specifically through repurposing water for irrigation. This is achieved through the installation of rainwater harvesting tanks which collect rainwater and filter it, so that it can be reused for other applications on the farm.
What is a rainwater harvesting tank?
Rainwater harvesting tanks are designed to collect and store rainwater with the intention of using it for irrigation purposes in an agricultural setting. At Cotterill civils, we have a wide range of rainwater harvesting tanks supplied by Enduramaxx who are the UK’s leading manufacturer of polyethylene products for the agricultural, industrial and construction sectors. The tanks are made from UV stabilised polyethylene, meaning they are resistant to impact, rustproof, and easy to maintain, making them ideal for busy agriculturalists.
What are the benefits of installing a rainwater harvesting tank?
- Water conservation: Harvesting rainwater helps to conserve water resources by capturing and storing rainwater that can be used for non-potable purposes like gardening, washing cars, flushing toilets, and other household uses. This reduces the demand on municipal water supply, which in turn reduces water bills.
- Cost savings: Rainwater is free, so by harvesting it, you can save money on your water bill.
- Reduced flooding and erosion: Capturing rainwater reduces the amount of runoff and the risk of erosion and flooding in the surrounding areas.
- Improved water quality: Rainwater is free of many of the chemicals and pollutants found in mains water supplies, so it can be used for irrigation and other non-potable purposes without the negative effects associated with these pollutants.
- Drought resilience: Rainwater harvesting can help make your property more resilient during times of drought, allowing you to maintain a water supply for non-potable uses even when municipal water supplies are restricted.
- Environmental benefits: By reducing the demand for municipal water supplies, rainwater harvesting helps to conserve water resources and reduce the carbon footprint associated with the treatment and distribution of water.
Why is it important to repurpose rainwater?
Repurposing rainwater is very important for agriculturalists for many reasons. Firstly, repurposing water allows farmers to make the most efficient use of available water resources. As water is a scarce resource, it is essential to make effective use of the water that is naturally available via rainfall. By reusing wastewater or other sources of non-potable water, farmers can reduce the demand on freshwater resources, which are often limited in many areas. It can also be a cost-effective way for farmers to irrigate crops or provide water for livestock. Harnessing natural resources like rainwater can save time and money significantly.
Repurposing water can help farmers become more resilient during times of drought, allowing them to maintain a water supply for crops and livestock even when freshwater supplies are limited. Recycling rainwater can also help reduce the amount of wastewater that is discharged into rivers and other water bodies, reducing the impact of agricultural activities on local ecosystems. This means that the environmental impact is minimised, which is something which is encouraged. Additionally, using non-potable water sources for irrigation can reduce the demand for freshwater resources, which can help to protect sensitive ecosystems like wetlands and rivers. Lastly, reusing wastewater can help improve soil health by providing additional nutrients and organic matter to the soil. This can help to improve crop yields and reduce the need for synthetic fertilisers.
What can the Water Management Grant offer farmers?
The Water Management Grant is offering up 40% off rainwater harvesting tanks with a capacity of over 5,000 litres. The grant is awarded competitively, with a two-stage application process.
A decision will be made within 60 days of an application being submitted.
The first round of applications has finished, however the next round of applications are expected to be open in Spring 2023. Keep your eyes peeled for updates about the Water Management Fund on the gov.uk website.
To browse our full range of rainwater harvesting tanks click here.
Speak to one of our industry experts on 0121 351 3230 for more information about any of our products.
Alternatively, fill out our enquiry form: