Which sewer pipe is best – PVC or Clay?Jess Cope
PVC sewer pipe is now the most widely used drainage system for housing and light commercial applications and serves as an excellent alternative to clay. The UK Government recently set a target of a million new homes across the UK by 2020 and with a rush to build these homes, the demand for PVC sewer pipes is set to rise. But which pipe is best – clay or PVC?
This is a question we’re frequently asked by our customers. We’ve detailed below our thoughts.
Option 1: Clay Pipe
Many older properties still use clay or cast iron sewer pipe, and clay sewer pipe is still laid today. Here’s just some of the benefits to using clay pipe:
- It’s inert, which makes it highly resistant to chemical degradation
- High longevity (if the pipe is not damaged)
- Good structural integrity, which prevents deflecting or flattening under load
Clay pipe is becoming more and more outdated though. Whilst clay is still a good choice, there are a few downsides:
- More expensive than alternative products
- More costly should the pipe fail prematurely and require replacement
- Heavy & hard to cut
- Roots attach to the porous surface causing damage to the pipe
- Susceptible to breakage and cracking
- Susceptible to clogging
However, if an older sewer pipe is still carrying waste with no leakage, there is no reason to replace it.
Option 2: PVC Pipe
- Lightweight, making it easy to handle when installing
- Strong, which minimises cracking and breakage
- Flexible, which minimises potential damage
- Long lasting with less need for replacement and repair
Our Sales Director, Luke Beer states: “PVC sewer pipes feature a smooth interior providing an excellent carrying capacity of solid waste matter. The smooth exteriors also help resist root anchorage, making it a great substitute for clay pipes. It’s also cheaper.”
Where to go for advice?
We’re one of the UK’s leading providers of PVC Sewer Pipe and can provide you with a solution to meet your specific needs and budget. We can provide you with expert advice on the different options available to you, including couplers, bends, junctions, screwed access caps, level invert reducers, inlet bottle gullies, traps, plain ended solid pipe, draw rope and sealed aluminium rodding eye.
We also price match our sewer products to give you the best prices.
Please get in contact – 0121 351 3230.
Or click here to find out more.