Drainage Pipe Overview
Shopping for land drainage pipes? Look no further.
Here at Cotterill Civils, we know drainage like the back of our hands and strive to deliver the right products to you, at the right time, and for a very competitive price. This includes perforated and non-perforated land drainage pipes in various coil sizes – and from the UK’s leading brands.
The ground can become saturated for a number of reasons – the most obvious being excess water and rainfall, while impermeable soil types, such as clay, play a part in it too. However, removing water and directing it elsewhere can successfully prevent standing water, flooding in nearby areas and poor irrigation of fields.
What is Land Drainage Pipe?
Land drainage pipe, also known as land drainage coil, is used to prevent the build-up of excess water, which can lead to waterlogged sports pitches, poorer crop yields, erosion and environmental damage.
Our land drainage coil is designed to be flexible, durable and easy to install.
How does Land Drainage work?
Soil typically becomes saturated for one of two reasons. This is either due to the type of soil it is, such as clay, or excessive rainfall where no more water can be absorbed into the ground. Land drainage works by installing plastic land drainage coil underground. This alleviates excess water by allowing it to flow into and through a pipe, in areas that are waterlogged.
The land drain pipe will then direct the water to a nearby disposal point – such as a nearby stream, storm drain or soakaway system – to prevent a build-up of excess water.
What are the benefits of Land Drainage coils?
- Increase crop yields – Depending on the condition of the land, well-drained land can improve crop yields by as much as 150%.
- Improve soil quality for crops
- Having well-drained soils is vital to the health of your crops. Benefits include good soil structure for root development and oxygen for organic material, an extension to the growing or grazing season etc.
- Prevent black grass – In order to tackle this tricky problem, it is important to improve and maintain good soil structure by ensuring your land is well drained.
- Prevent waterlogged sports pitches – Prevent lost revenues through waterlogged pitches by ensuring they can be used all year round.
What is perforated Land Drain coil?
Perforated land drainage pipe has tiny holes cut into the dwells of the coil. These holes are designed to allow surface water to flow through them and be collected. In farming, these coils help prevent fields from becoming waterlogged and improve soil quality as well as help prevent black grass. These coils are also used in sports fields to prevent wet spots and in construction to alleviate flooding.
What is unperforated Land Drain coil?
In contrast to the perforated coil, unperforated land drain coil is used to distribute collected surface water. They are used predominantly for attenuation where water is stored and directed to a watercourse, a soakaway system or water storage tank.
What sizes are available in Land Drainage Pipes?
We are delighted to supply both perforated and unperforated pipe to suit the diverse requirements of our customers. Our land drainage pipe is available in an assortment of sizes, including 60mm, 80mm, 100mm and 160mm – all supported by high-quality junctions, connectors and headwalls.
Why choose our land drainage pipe?
Here at Cotterill Civils, we are one of the UK’s leading stockists of land drainage pipes and are confident that you’ll be hard-pressed to find a supplier with more variety and expertise than us.
Something that makes us stand out from our competitors is that we have unrivalled knowledge of the products advertised on our website and are always willing to guide and advise you. But that’s not all.
Here are just a few more reasons why you should make Cotterill Civils your no.1 choice for land drainage pipe coils:
- Strong and flexible - Manufactured from High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) to ensure optimal chemical and impact resistance, meaning less need for repairs.
- Lightweight & easy to handle - Easy to handle and install, making for a much quicker and more pleasing experience when loading a land drainage machine or installing an open trench.
- 50 year guarantee - Our land drainage pipe is BSI kitemark approved and comes with the longest guarantee in the country.
- Free delivery on full loads - To save you money, we offer free delivery on full lorry loads of our land drainage coil.
- Large stocks available - We store large stocks of our land drainage pipe onsite, ensuring it’s ready for when you need it.
- Expert advice - Our team of land drainage specialists can provide you with expert advice on its installation.
The advantages of land drainage
- Increase yield potential - Make every acre count and buy back your unprofitable ground. Depending on the condition of your land, you can increase crop yields by up to 150%.
- Increase land value - With land prices soaring, getting the optimum productivity and yield from every acre has never been more important. Efficiently drained land puts the landowner in a more favourable position with regard to selling or letting the land.
- Improves playing surfaces - Efficient drainage of playing surfaces allows for enhanced performance, less games to be called off due to water logged pitches, the minimisation of injury and importantly increased overall enjoyment.
Further information & tips
How to check your land drainage is working?
Why your drainage pipe might not be working?
Which to use – land drainage coil or twinwall pipe?
Top tips for mole draining
Top tips for installing a land drainage scheme
Top tips for maintaining land drainage
Why land drainage is so important – infographic
How your soil type impacts drainage