Make positive changes to your business in 2018
The recent collapse of construction giant, Carillion, understandably came as a major shock to many businesses. As the second largest construction company in the UK, it’s proven how awarding a major contract to a big player does not mean it is any more secure. It also shows the catastrophic effect mismanagement can have on a business, regardless of size.
With the dawn of a new year and Carillion in mind, now is the perfect time for businesses to consider what positive changes they could be making to ensure 2018 is a real success. At Cotterill Civils we’ve done just that – we recently took time out to reflect on what we could do better. These include automating areas of our business, so that we’ve even more time to focus on customer service, and making sure we have the right people in place to grow our business effectively.
What can you improve?
If this is an exercise you would also find useful, here’s just a few examples of the things you could be thinking of addressing:
- Could your team be working more efficiently?
- How could you improve your service to customers?
- Where could you save on costs?
Fundamental to each of these is often your supplier. If they’re not delivering the right products to you, at the right time and the right price, this can be detrimental to the service you provide. So when reviewing your existing suppliers, here’s just a few examples of the things you could be cross-checking:
- Do they have the technical knowledge to offer you expert advice on the products you need?
- Do they help you get the job done better or cheaper by advising you on alternative products?
- Do you speak to a different person each time you call, rather than having a dedicated account manager who knows you and your business?
- Do they deliver the products you need when they say they will?
- Do they keep you updated with the delivery status of your products to save you chasing them?
- Do they offer competitive prices on fit for purpose products?
If they’re not achieving any of the above, maybe it’s time to consider a different supplier.
If you’d like to give us a try, call us today on 0121 351 3230.