What is barrier pipe?
Barrier pipe is used to safely distribute drinking water through contaminated land. Soils that are typically contaminated are often found in brownfield sites that were previously used for industrial or commercial purposes but have since become disused. The government often encourages developers to regenerate and develop these sites into areas used for housing, warehouses or factories as a means to protect the green belt, minimise urban sprawl and make better use of disused land.
In areas such as this, it is often required that a barrier pipe system is used to protect drinking water from the permeation of soil contaminants through the wall of the pipe.
Why use our barrier pipe system?
Our barrier pipe system is specifically designed and approved to provide the level of protection required to safeguard potable water against contaminants commonly found in brownfield sites. A multi-layer composite structure barrier pipe, our pipe combines the benefits of polyethylene (PE) with the exceptional barrier properties of aluminium (Al), making it the ideal barrier pipe system to safeguard potable water. Lightweight, flexible and corrosion resistant, our barrier pipe system is easy to install, without the need to post-wrap the finished joints. The pipe can be joined using our comprehensive range of fittings, specifically developed to give you the assurance of a safe and durable solution that protects your drinking water supply.
What are the benefits of our barrier pipe system?
- Multi-layer pipe construction PE-Al-PE
- Brown stripes denote a multi-layer pipe
- Full barrier pipe system
- Combines the flexibility of polyethylene with the barrier properties of aluminium
- Safeguards drinking water quality
- Easy to handle, flexible and lightweight
- End load resistant system
- Installation cost savings – no requirement for thrust blocks
- No requirement to post-wrap the joints
- Suitable for most common installation techniques
- Suitable for new and replacement drinking water supply systems
To find out more, contact our specialist at Cotterill Civils for expert advice on barrier pipes on 0121 351 3230.